Sunday, March 26, 2006

Finally some blunt perspective

I had dinner last night with two married couples. They're great folks and fortunately I don't have to worry about feeling too much like a third wheel. I know I've tortured the subject to death with my single friends, but it was nice to hear a different perspective and a more male viewpoint on my recent dating turmoil. Hopefully for them, it's an entertaining change of pace from married life.

Maybe I appreciate their point of view because it's what I want/need to hear, but I hope it's more because I appreciate their frankness. The abbreviated story they heard was that I have seen this guy three times - once every other Thursday. We discussed how he waits until the last minute or drags out the set up process for the next meeting. It was pretty unanimous that he is dating several women and that I am lower on his list.

This is a new thing for me, or at least it's never been this painfully noticeable. Perhaps if I had a more active list of potential dates, I wouldn't have noticed. I guess I've just always felt like I was number one or two with people I've dated. And I'm not spoiled, conceited or anything, believe me, I know I'm decent looking but I know I'd lose to many of my friends in a looks contest. I've just been fortunate to date people who weren't players. Perhaps that's given me a false sense of security.

I need to think less and keep it simple (like a guy). The couples' recommendation was not to totally drop him (except one male vote), just to play along with whatever comes up. I'll try that. I think also I'm going to try to not talk about it too much. I think that only conjures up more unnecessary emotion. It's fun to talk about guys so it's kind of sad to have to do this, but Mr. Every-Other-Thursday will now be put on the backburner.

I'm hoping Gof will e-mail me. (Yes, I know, I could e-mail him... but I'm old-fashioned and a little chicken.) He's a nice guy and I wouldn't mind spending a little time with him.

No comments: