Monday, October 30, 2006

Weekend peeks

The weekend went by FAST! I woke up this morning wishing I just had a day to myself.

On Saturday, I did some rewiring in the house. Since I don't have cable, I rely on various antenna for my analog and HD signals. That means that I can't record anything using my VCR. I changed that by moving the VCR into the spare bedroom where I relocated my old tv and have decent reception. (I miss having a TV in my bedroom but I keep telling myself that it's a bad habit.) This way, if I'm out on a weeknight, I can record shows that I might miss like "The Amazing Race" and "Gilmore Girls."

Around lunch time, I caught up with two girlfriends for 9-holes of golf. Chi and I played one awful game. We're too out of practice. Meanwhile, MusicDoc has been getting lessons and hit some great shots. Chi and MusicDoc has never met before.

Between shots, Chi and I caught on our dating lives so MusicDoc was curious to learn more. She asked a lot about Chi's experiences with online dating. Naturally, Chi has a very positive opinion since that's where she met Juan. As an aside to the conversation, I asked MusicDocn how she had met her last boyfriend. It was someone whom she met at an alumuni social.

What caught my attention was the hindsight she added to her response. MusicDoc wistfully said that he has been the type of guy that looked good on paper. He was everything she has thought (or was told) she would want in a man. The lesson was that he was nothing of what she wants and that what's down on paper means little. Hence her curiosity about online dating because she is skeptical. The three of us all agreed that dating "resumes" a just window dressing.

I tried going shopping twice this weekend. Both times, I found some cute clothes but no good fit. On the one hand, it's good to say that I didn't spend any money on things I don't need. But then, with such great prices it's maddening to not get in on the deals when you see people at the cashier. ;)

I stopped over at my brother's on Sunday afternoon. It's nice to see their apartment coming along. He's been so busy with work they still have yet to buy a bed and simple things like a duvet and sheets. Every time I talk with them, I learn something new about how the newlyweds are learning. It's amusing.

- For dinner, they ate mopo tofu. My brother commented on how meaty the dish was and asked about the recipe. Ricer said the recipe called for 4 ounces of meat. Then she asked to verify, "4 ounces is a pound right?"

- On the refrigerator is a sheet of scratch paper with my brother's two e-mail addresses clearly written. I asked why they were posted there. Apparently Ricer can't seem to use either address correctly. She either forgets to add his middle initial or omits it, or she only uses his first initial, or she uses his full name rather than his nickname. Any they've been together for seven years?

Later, I went over to a neighbor's house for a pumpkin carving party. The turnout was smaller this year. It's a nice way to get to know some of the neighbors since usually it's just a quick glance as we drive past each other or seeing people in their backyards.

One of the gentleman there is divorced with a daughter in college. He was talking about how his daughter invited him join her Facebook network. It's reassuring to be able to see what activities and events she's involved in. It's nice to see that she's comfortable enough to share that with her dad. I also found it funny that they found "Project Runway" as a source of bonding. He knows nothing about fashion, but they like to watch and discuss it with each other. They seem to have a good relationship.

No comments: