Thursday, October 12, 2006

Disconnects

Observations that I'm not sure what to do with:

1) People always think I'm younger than I actually am.

How does that affect my credibility at work? I can only imagine how differently I might be treated if people didn't think I was some young college graduate rather than someone who's had three careers and been in this particular field for 5+ years. (Being taller would probably help as well.)

Just how much younger than 35 do I look and act? This is why I can't let my hair get too long; it takes five years off my age and therefore doesn't look professional. I work with people who aren't more than 10 years older than me and I feel soooo much less "adult." This all goes back to being an only child and not being social enough as a kid. Who knew that partying and drinking in college can be considered skill development?

Does that affect the chances of getting asked out by certain men? This is one of those catch-22s where the older men think I'm too young for them (minus the creepy old men) and the younger men realize I'm too old. At least, that's how I feel sometimes.

2) I don't get asked to partner up for activities. Then people are always surprised I didn't get asked (both genders).

Do people assume I'm already "taken," leaving me high and dry? It's just a theory, I have no idea. There have been a couple of times, in hindsight, comments from people gave me the impression that since I present myself as confident and outgoing that I can't possibly be single or lacking a partner.

Am I somehow unapproachable? Intimidating maybe? I'm an Aries - I'm headstrong and always think I know best. (And most times, I am.) Other times, people have indicated that their first impression of me that I can be aloof. It's not that I look down on people or anything. Exactly the opposite, I'm so concerned that people are uninterested in talking to me or that I'm boring that I shy away from introducing myself to others. I do need to work on being less serious.

Do people think I don't like them? I'm very uncomfortable making eye contact with people. I'm afraid I'll imply the wrong message (or be too obvious). Not sure where I learned this habit from.

2 comments:

shan said...

i'm the same way ... some people think i'm aloof when they first meet me because i'm intimidated and thus i don't open my mouth much, or i'm afraid of sounding stupid and uninteresting.

isn't there something about asians tend to look much younger than their age? my parents always tell me i look older for my age ... go figure.

Anonymous said...

I've actually gotten that --- like, people assume I've already got a boyfriend because I seem outwardly outgoing and fun. I mean, hell, if they knew what I wrote about in my blog, they'd know better...but that kinda bums me out, thinking that I'm in this no-win situation, 'cause they think that if you're outgoing and spontaneous, etc., that you can find somebody on your own and wouldn't possibly ever need their help.

*sigh*