Thursday, October 05, 2006

Bar scenes

I went to a charity event for a local volunteer organization. C3 is feeling like she needs to be more social and would like to start volunteering. This organization held a social at a trendy bar in the area. I have actually volunteered with this group once and learned about it from Chi. C3 had never heard of the group and thought this social gathering would be a good way to check out the members.

I've never been into bar scenes. The social etiquette and small talk is very awkward for me. (They should offer a class for people like me. ;) ) The people there were mostly friendly. The funny thing, to me, was that virtually all the people we met were people who had never volunteered through the organization and were "checking it out." Frankly, I couldn't help wonder how many of these people were using this social function as a way to network and perhaps meet potential singles.

The bar was basically a wide hallway, separated by what I thought was frosted glass but later realized was a wall of metal beads. Behind the counter, the bottles of liquored were displayed on shelves backlighted with red light. The design was modern with dark wood, chrome , and leather cube seating.

I weaved my way through the crowd to find C3. She was talking to a man and woman. They had all connected because they each had worked for PWC at some point in their careers, though in different groups. She told me I missed out on this snooty European woman who thought she was better than everyone else and tended to put a damper on conversations.

The guy seemed like a decent Asian man. Part of me couldn't help size him up for potential dating. I recall thinking, "yeah, I'd go on a date with this guy." He had indicated that he was in his early 30s. After talking about our undergrad experiences, he asked what year we graduated. He was surprised to hear that we were near his age. He even commented that we looked younger. I wondered if he was disappointed to hear we were older than him. That negative little bug in my head thought, "there goes getting exchanging e-mails." Let's face it, a large percentage of men want to date someone younger than or the same age as them if they're thinking about marriage. We stepped up to the bar for drinks. He excused himself for the restroom and said he'd return. I never saw him again.

After talking with each other for awhile, C3 and I approached another group of people. This time I recognized one of the guys. Arms is a guy who knows some of our other friends, like TJ, and who I have run into a couple times at speed dating events. Nothing ever happened even though we "matched," not even a coffee date. We exchanged friendly hellos. I caught him up on the whereabouts of some folks. There were also two other guys there, Gir and E.

I suppose if I really wanted to mingle and meet more men, I should have moved around the room more. Instead I stood and talked with Arms and E. C3 spent some time talking with Gir. E seemed like a decent guy. We even grew up in the same area of SoCal and discussed locations for good Mexican food. Alas, he is eight years my junior. Probably a nice guy to hang out with, but he's at a different stage of life than me.

Just before 8:30pm I let everyone know I was heading out. I said that I wanted to get home to watch the premiere of "Lost." Arms asked why I wasn't just recording the show. I explained my preference to watch in HD, and that launched into an information session on how he could do the same and ditch his cable.

I made it home with one minute to spare. :)

*****

I'm trying; I give myself credit for that. I really need to let go of attending these events for the slim hope of getting a date, and yet, I would just stay home if I didn't have that underlying goal in mind. I'm dragging myself to another happy hour event next week. No wingman to come with me next time.

3 comments:

teahouse said...

Hey, you don't need a wingman! Just go alone and be your wonderful self.

jayfish said...

i hated the bar scene myself so i think that was the beauty of online dating for me. i could dismiss so many girls by the smallest of things. didn't like their age? gone. didn't like that they smoked? gone. i totally had over 1000 girls in my rejected pile just from their picture or their profile. and i didn't have to spend 15 minutes at a bar talking to each one of them to find out i wasn't compatable with them.

granted, i *do* think it's good to get out and have small talk with people you don't know just for the social aspect (ha! like i've ever really done that).

Clinton said...

My view is every time you talk to someone new and engage yourself in challenging social situations, you'll learn something.

I'm betting you took away some more wisdom during that innocent bar event that will come in handy in the future.

The question is: will you keep pushing yourself to go to more of these functions?