Friday, October 27, 2006

Peopled-out

For whatever reason, I'm feeling rather solitary these days. I'm looking towards my weekend wondering why I ever committed to all these things. When I left for my brother's wedding, the plan was to come back and not hang out with anyone for a couple weeks. I put that off feeling like I should be social instead. Now, I wish I had some quiet time.

I have this e-mailer, Hguy, who I've been terrible about replying to. I'm amazed he still writes me as it takes me a good week to respond each time. I don't feel like we've exchanged any personal information that makes me want to meet him.

I watched "The Lake House" the other night. While it was a good idea, I feel like they failed to develop the characters enough for me to understand why they chose to write each other in the first place. It wasn't always clear to me why they behaved as they did. Obviously, they were good people, but I didn't feel that close to them. I mention this because it made me wonder what, in writing to people, makes for meaningful conversation. How do you generate a strong (and genuine) connection with someone you've never met? It used to happen in the old days. These days, maybe I lack faith, but I think it's all based on unrealstic expectations.

At least the weather has been unusually nice around here. I'm hoping to find a bit of time to sit on a park bench and read. Knowing me, I'll end up in front of the tv or running around trying to buy a pumpkin instead. Being boring just seems so appealing right now.

4 comments:

Anna May Won't said...

i feel the same way about writing/email relationships. with blogs at least you have an inkling about what's going on in that other person's life, and vice versa. but writing based on something like a personals profile seems really boring to me.

i have also been horrible about writing back to this guy who keeps writing to me via myspace. he seems nice and normal, but i feel so apathetic about it.

teahouse said...

Yeah, it's always been hard for me to get to know people without actually meeting them in person. I think that's still true, even in these days with internet, phone, etc.

chloe said...

Unfortunately I can't relate to getting to know someone through email (since I'm married), but I have to say I definately feel I've gotten to know people on the internet through their blog, kinda like what Anna May Won't said. These days I actually feel more in tune with my blogger friends than my 'real life' friends.

Pandax said...

I can see that. Blogs allow for more freedom of opinion. There are things you'd never say about people for the risk of word getting back to them. I can have the greatest conversations with people about random things, but when it comes to getting personal about life, relationships, aspirations, etc. it's much more challenging to know how and when to ask.