Saturday, March 17, 2007

Checking for loose ends

Over the weekend, I'm doing a bit of cleaning house. Yes, I'm tidying up my place and hope to liberate some of the dust bunnies, but that's not the kind of cleaning I want to discuss here.

Instead, I'm talking about cleaning up my dating inbox. I hate dangling threads that are starting to get old. When a guy hasn't replied in awhile, one tends to think they've forgotten you or lost interest. Let's face, when you like someone, you want to talk to them, see them.

So, I went back to some question marks and threw out a last bone. Hopefully my e-mails were simple, honest, and not desperate or needy. The first one went to Design with whom I had dinner two weeks ago. You remember, the one who gave me a hug and said he'd call?

"Hi D,

It's been almost two weeks since we met up for dinner. I'm trying to guess why I haven't heard from you. I know this great weather has filled up my schedule lately. Maybe the situation wasn't ideal and perhaps we didn't talk as much as one might have expected?

All that said, I'd still like to get to know you. If you don't feel the same, I'd appreciate if you would do me the courtesy of letting me know.

Sincerely,
P


Maybe when I read this later I'll say, "doh," as I smack my forehead. Right now, it seems like a fair enough request. In the system we're using, you have to provide closure in some respects, otherwise you still look like you're active on the other person's interest list.

I also went ahead and gave ArtHawk one more poke (a la DonnaK and Admin):

"Ah, yes, yyy.com sounds correct. Thanks for the compliment.

It sounds as though you have many outdoor interests. How have you been taking advantage of this fantastic spring weather?"


We'll see if either of them respond. I know I should be more positive, but I'm not expecting much.

Another guy e-mailed me more than a week ago asking if I was free on Sunday to meet up. I wrote back saying that I had the day free and provided my phone number since he said he'd be traveling. I've never heard from him since about setting something up. Why am I getting all these slow, flakey guys?

In the meantime, I'm experimenting with my preference setting for the weekend. I figure I only have a couple weeks left in my membership so I might as well see what happens and chalk it up to social education.

This one guy seemed decent. I was open to the idea of replying to him until I saw his third picture. Nothing wrong with it in a censorship sense, it's just that it's too early for *me* to be looking at a torso up shot of his bare, semi-hairy chest. Maybe some women would appreciate proof that he's fit and not overweight, but I the hair part is a bit of a turn-off for me. Ugh. For now, I'll let him see my pictures... let's see if he's still interested in chatting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was on eharmony on and off for almost a year. I didn't hit it off with many of the guys I met, although most were very nice, but I eventually meet my current boyfriend of over a year through eharmony and am so glad I stuck with it. I think online dating can yield a lot of duds, but at least it puts you out there. Don't give up hope. Good luck! =)