Tuesday, December 19, 2006

A Unique Experience


My weekend was happily quiet. I sat around in pjs on Saturday. In the morning I ran a couple loads of laundry and watched a few episodes from season 3 of "Gilmore Girls." I managed to finish six Xmas cards after preparing myself a yummy brunch using my leftover ratatouille as the omlette filling and pan roasting the three-colored potatoes I bought at the farmers' market.

I did finally escape the house briefly in the late afternoon to make sure my Xmas cards made the 5pm deadline at the main post office. The air was rather brisk and I found myself a bit underdressed for the weather. Being cozy inside my warm home had fooled me into thinking a sunny sky meant mild temperatures. Still, it was pleasant to walk through the streets, window shop, and watch other people walk by.

I watched "It's a Wonderful Life" in the evening, though I admit to peeking over to "Elf" during commercials. I also made sure to catch up on the Survivor episodes that I had missed. I wanted to make sure I understood every nuance of the show before watching the finale. Watching the challenge with the survivors clinging to the poles and being dragged by the opposing team was incredibly draining. I felt almost as tired as the competitors. Man, that was a brutal contest.

On Sunday morning, I got myself to exercise a little. I started the morning late after staying up late. Again, it was nice to have a quiet, sunny day with no obligations or appointments to think about. After my shower, I did some cleaning in my flannel robe, naked underneath. That's not something I'd normally think of doing this time of year. Somehow, it was fun.

Before I knew it, it was time to drive over to the bar for the Survivor finale. I'd actually misread the clock and found myself short on time. I wanted to get there before the majority of the crowd so that I could secure a seat. I didn't want to stand for three hours nor did I want to end up behind people who'd block my view (because that happens A LOT when you're only five feet tall).

Just as the invitation instructed I arrived at 4:30pm. (Even when I think I'm late to something I always managed to arrive on time - go figure.) Only a handful of true friends were there, drawing signs and finishing set up. In the center of the room were three rows of chairs, each covered with a pom-pom and various forms of champagne poppers. I was impressed they thought of everything that had crossed my mind as well.

The CBS camera crew was making final adjustments on the lighting. Looking at the projection screen, one had no choice but to be blinded by two huge flood lights on either side of the screen. Otherwise there were four blue booths on either side of the room for sitting, but most were covered with papers and supplies. The third choice was the barstools around the bar in the back.

I wasn't sure if the chairs were reserved for K's close friends. I learned from Thursday's viewing that the guy with the camera was the organizer. As he walked near, I asked him if the seats were already designated, and he encouraged me to sit wherever I wanted.

I invited one friend to join me. Also, the guy who originally invited me to the party arrived with his friends. It was nice to be around people I know. The room was bustling with people just before 5pm. There were several varieties of t-shirts being worn by various K groups:

- a sketch of K and his abs with "K's our homeboy"
- "K for U.N. Ambassador"
- a picture from Survivor with shirtless K and a tagline below "Smart = Sexy"
- "K went to Survivor Cook Islands and all I got was this lousy t-shirt"

At this point, everyone was waiting for the live East Coast feed of the show. Before we started the film crew manager gave up some instructions on taping us. At 6:30pm, he told us to cheer as if K had won. He wanted us to be as enthusiastic as possible. "If I'm jumping up and down, I want you to jump up and down. If I fall asleep, I want you to jump up and down." It was kind of disappointing to know that our celebration would not be anywhere near live to national television. So did they do this for Ozzie's friends too so as not to give away who won? I wonder... do you think the film crew knew?


It was fun watching the show with a crowd that felt it had a vested interest in the outcome. The tension during every competition was intense and we all ooooed, ahhhed, and awwed together.

During a commercial break around 6:30pm, the film guy stood up again and told us all the prepare to cheer. Everyone madly shook their pom-poms, launched their poppers and confetti and chanted "K, K, K." Then the cameraman waived us down. He signaled to one group on the floor that they had to move their white poster board to the back because it was causing too much glare. Then we shot the scene again... and a third time.

I doubted I'd appear in the clip that ended up on tv. I was likely obscured by all the people and swirling pom-poms. Plus, the cameraman failed to pan across the room showing just how many of us were there. It was unfortunate that he couldn't not set the camera up farther back. Still, it was fun and interesting to see the "behind the scenes" aspect of preparing for the Survivor final show.

The final immunity challenge was a nail bitter. Every time someone twitched, we all gasped at whether the person would fall. People were heart-broken when K fell to the water.

At the final vote, you could cut the air with a knife. After being held up in a basement bar for over two hours, it was very warm. I could swear the 150 people there stopped breathing for a moment as Jeff opened the final vote. The excitement was unbelievable!!!

After the show ended, they put up a banner and encouraged everyone to come sign it. It would be a gift waiting for K when he comes home. Though it would have been fun to sign, I decided against it for two reasons: one, I don't really know him so I felt it was better to leave it to his friends to sign, and two, it was going to be a wait before having a chance to sign it.


I'm some three degrees removed from knowing K, but it was a one of a kind experience to be part of.

P.S. If you have any interest in this, there's a great interview transcript here from after the show.

No comments: