Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Men and meat

Tim and I had a holiday dinner together. Basically, I told him I didn't want anything for Xmas, so he treated me to a local restaurant I've been waiting to try. We shared an appetizer as we waited for our entrees - ahi tuna sashimi and prime rib French dip sandwich.

Our entrees were delivered by a different server than the woman who took our order. As he arrive at our table, he started to put the French Dip in front of Tim. Before he could set it down, Tim corrected him and said, "the sandwich is hers."

The waiter looked a little embarrassed as he moved the plate towards me. The prime rib was cut thin and piled high inside the toasted bread roll, showing it's beatiful pink color. Also on the plate was a coffee cup with the au jus and a small side of sauteed spinach topped with some parmesean shavings. As he positioned it in front of me, he remarked, "it looks so tasty."

Then he set the sashimi place in front of Tim and left us saying, "enjoy your meals."

Tim looked at his meal. There were eight eraser-sized chunks of tuna lined up along one edge of the square plate The rest of the space was covered by a two-inch high pile of greens with huge pieces of mango and avocado. It was a very pretty presentation. He looked at me and said, "[the waiter] thought I was getting the big meat meal. Now, I'm insulted. I ordered the girly plate."

We got some good laughs out of it.

We wished each other "Merry Christmas" before digging in. The prime rib was awesome with horseradish and then dipped in juice. Tim actually found himself quite satisfied by the sashimi. I did cut him a section of my sandwich to trade for a piece of tuna. It was a very tasty meal.

1 comment:

chloe said...

Sounds nice. =)