Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Knowing myself better: Part II

[exhale] And now, the other half of the get-to-know-myself questions. Gosh, these are tough.

11) What bores you? What never bores you?
Going to bars and clubs; listening to music.

12) How important is money to you? How much time do you think about it, and what income level do you aspire to?
Sadly, money is the means to many things, especially if one chooses to live where the cost of living is high. I keep track of money, but I probably don't manage it well enough. It's not an obsession, but I believe in trying to get the best from what I spend. Sure, it's be nice to win the lottery, but I would be happy if I had enough to afford a decent house, pay for my kids' educations, and retire comfortably.

13) What is the role of God in your life? What is God like in relation to you?
I don't think I believe in God, at least I don't believe he has a hand in everyone's day-to-day life. Who has time to personally monitor 6 million people?

14) In order, what are your three strongest interests?
This seems like such a simple question, and yet I can't come up with an interesting answer. Or maybe I'm just really boring. I like learning, but I don't have a passion for anything specific. I enjoying planning trips and seeing the world. Cooking, wonderful cooking; it's very therapeutic, and you get something yummy to eat at the end.

15) Who is your biggest enemy, and precisely how and why did this person become your enemy?
Gee, I hope I don't have one. Sure, there are people who don't like me, but I'd never call them enemies. The only enemy I can think of is myself. There are so many expectations, so many preformed prejudices that end up being obstacles to me being a better, happier person.

16) How important is food to you? Do you think of it very often, and do you feel disciplined in your management of food intake?
I definitely enjoy experiencing a variety of foods. If I have too much salty food I soon need to balance that with something sweet. I'm usually well-disciplined about food although it doesn't reflect what I saw on the scale this week. Gulp!

17) Does the idea of being married to the same person for the rest of your life sound appealing to you or not? What about it would you especially like or not like?
Deep down, I'm a homebody. I don't need to go far, but I'd like to be around people whom I love and love me. The idea of getting comfortable and enjoying life with someone is totally peaceful.

18) Do you think of yourself as an emotionally healthy person? In what ways are you healthy and in what ways could you improve?
Honestly, no, I think I'm a wreck emotionally. However, my disposition certainly doesn't contribute to my self-esteem. One of the reasons I keep writing is to learn about myself. It helps me recognize and remember the consequences of my behavior. I think the simplest thing I can do to help myself is to think positively and stop worrying about what others think (but that's the hard one for me).

19) What is the role of conflict in your life? Do you argue or fight much with the people closets to you? How does it turn out for you?
I hate conflict. It makes me incredibly uncomfortable because I fear saying the wrong things and hurting other people's feeling, embarrassing myself, or making the situation worse. Whenever I need to have a serious talk with someone, I have to think through the conversation in my mind beforehand. I've learned from past mistakes that avoiding conflict can be as bad or worse than speaking up. It's getting better.

20) What specifically would you like your closest friends to say about you at your funeral?
Hmmmm, there's a scary question. Full of knowledge, loves to help, smart, energetic, outgoing, competitive, hard on myself, capable, independent, good.

I'm not sure whether I like these answers, but this is what came to mind. The question is, what am I supposed to now do with this information? How will this help me identify a man who is suitable to date?

No comments: