Tuesday, January 16, 2007

That Alaskan cold front

Burrrr! Wow, that was a cold weekend.

Friday night, I met up with friends to talk about our May vacation. We've got some good ideas for the itinerary we'd all prefer. Monday I need to call the travel service to check on discounts and add-ons to the tour. I just love thinking about vacation.

Saturday morning, I went car shopping with Tim. His car is more than ten years old now. The engine is so noisy that I can hear him driving towards my house before he turns onto my street. He's looking to upgrade to an even sportier car like a BMW. Given the price tag of a new car, he's interested in finding a young, used one. We found one used car that he could potentially buy. The question is whether he's okay with the 45,000 mileage (he was looking for something under 30,000). I hate buying cars, pricing is so nebulous and impossible to correctly assess. He's been somewhat excited at the idea and collecting advice and opinions from friends on pricing and options. He proposed we play good cop, bad cop if he decides to go back and negotiate on price. It'll be fun to play the thrifty, skeptical girlfriend. ;)

I sat on my couch on Saturday afternoon watching the Ravens versus Colts game while snuggled under a throw blanket. I was so comfortable, I almost considered not going to my friends' birthday parties. But I has already RSVPed, so I bundled up in my down jacket and wool scarf and drove out.

Fortunately, the two parties were in neighboring cities so it was worth the drive. It's becoming the only way I see some of my friends as they're so busy with work or coupledom. The second party I attended had a little added fun since there was a theme. I had a little fun dressing with a bit of attitude. The crowd at that party was very different, so it was nice to meet some new faces. It's really refreshing to know that I can make new acquaintances who don't know my core friends. It reminds me that there are so many more people I can meet and learn from. It's always the same thing, the momentum needed to get out of the house is huge, but once you're out you have a good time.

Sunday, I make Rice Krispy treats for our NFL playoff gathering. They always make it sound like such a simple process. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it always get so sticky that I don't feel like the marshmallow cream gets evenly mixed with the rice. And the pot is soooo hard to clean afterwards. Despite all that, they are quite yummy eh?

Alas, my beloved Chargers couldn't handle the pressure. The Patriots have so much more experience. I knew it would be a close game. If you look at the Chargers' playoff history, it easy to guess that they'll struggle. I've become very patient about them after many years of watching them come not close enough. Sigh... .

The cold is still lingering around here. I really got a kick out of seeing cars on the road covered in frost and ice this morning. My sister-in-law must be miserable given she's never been in weather this cold for more than a couple days a year.

Time to call the travel service to inquire more about my May vacation plans. I've got my fingers crossed that the add-on we want comes through at a reasonable price.

No comments: