Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Profile triggers

Some observations from new profiles that have popped up...

Leisure activities you enjoy: Motorcycling, Mountain biking, fishing, hiking, and other outdoor activities
Personal choice, I'm just NOT into guys who ride motorcycles.

I like kids, but I'm not convinced that my life would be unfulfilled without them. A couple of current/future biological/step/adopted children are welcome, but not required.
I appreciate his honesty. Originally, I considered putting something my profile that emphasizes my interested in having a family someday. That idea was nixed as it would scare away men. In this case, he's not completely against the idea, but I guess I really want someone is enthusiastic about having children. Raising a child is not an easy task and I would not want someone who might see it as an obligation rather than a life experience.

People who type portions of they're profile in capital letters.
If it's used too much, it's just annoying. Don't people realize that USING ALL CAPITAL LETTERS IMPLIES THAT YOU ARE SHOUTING?

Who has been influential in your life: My College girl friend. She helped me realize what I don't want in a relationship.
Is this okay to say when you are 40+ years old? Perhaps it was a very significant turning point in his life. I guess I just find it a little weird to mention an (college) ex-girlfriend on an introduction page. It seems like there could be other people to mention since college was twenty years ago.

I was deleted from someone's match list because a statement I made helped him decide he was not interested. In his profile I noticed, "I can't dance, and shy about dancing. But if you get me drinking, I may start dancing."
Do you suppose he was intimidated by the fact I mentioned that one of the things I most enjoy is dancing and posted a picture of me dancing? ;)

Update:
My picture is visible to about 20 of the 30 men who I have matched with. Basically, anyone who has a picture posted (visible or not) can see it, except for guys who had incomplete profiles or no picture available. I have another 10 or so matches that I haven't had much time to look at. Among those who can view my photo, I haven't received any new communications. A few of them have come back and indicated they aren't interested or aren't looking to meet new people right now. And my next question here would be why are you still receiving matches if you're not "available?" There is a setting so that you are no longer in the pool.

I have received three e-mails from guys who *haven't* seen my picture (nor can I see two of theirs). Go figure. Posting a photo doesn't seem to have made any difference in my hunt or it's filtering out people who think I'm not attractive. I wish I knew what some of the other women look like who are similar to me.

1 comment:

zerodoll said...

can you not search (or look at) the "competition"? i definitely did that on match for ideas of what to put (or NOT put) in a profile and to see what looked terrible in a photo.

and the guy commenting about kids sounds like he's open to it; i wouldn't characterize his comments as unenthusiastic or as seeing kids as an obligation. i mean, he started off saying he LIKES kids.

and yeah, the guy who was influenced by an ex 20 years ago is kinda lame for bringing that up. it's a conversation or something to put in a profile about learning from past experiences, but mentioning exes anywhere in the profile is just stupid.