Wednesday, November 01, 2006

That's it?

The volume of tricker treaters this years was only half that of what I had last year. Most of the kids that came by I'd say were between three and eight. That left me with quite a bit of left over candy. Strange, I wonder why it fluctuated to much?

I like to fill a bowl with all the candy for the night and let the kids choose their candy. I buy the mini bars, not the mini bites of the regular sized candies like Kit Kats, Snickers, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, etc. When the kids come, I hold out the bowl and tell them they may take one candy they like.

What surprises me is the lack of manners these days. Excusing the very little ones, I always have a number who don't bother to say "trick or treat" or don't say "thank you." Some parents will try and remind their kids as they walk away, but it is frustrating. Several times, I'd add "you're welcome" as they left but only a couple caught that and replied.

Even more distressing were the number of kids who protested my instructions. Upon hearing they could have ONE, I had kids (all ages) respond to me - "that's it?" or "just one?"

What I wanted to say was, "it's one or none, what do you prefer?"

But, of course, in the gentlest voice I would simply say, "yes, one candy."

Perhaps I'll just have to throw one into their bags next time rather than give them a choice. Several kids ignored my instructions and would grab two. I didn't say much but at least usually those kids had better verbal manners. Half my neighbors don't even give out candy. Maine took off in her car at 6:30pm, no doubt to avoid any potential ringers. I do this for the fun of it. If it's quantity over quality, then I should just buy the cheaper lollipops and tootsie rolls next year rather than the nicer stuff.

I also feel that kids get enough sugar, I don't want to contribute to their bad eating habits more than necessary. It's my candy and my choice to give one piece each. Heck, I wonder how they'd all feel if I handed out raisins.

Sure, I had plenty of candy, but it's the principle to me. Is everyone giving multiple candies to each kid that comes to the door? It worries me these kids think they're entitled to more because it's in front of them. Halloween is about good neighbors and *earning* a treat.

No comments: