Thursday, November 16, 2006

About being older

"I need to leave now to help a single friend who was just hospitalized. She has urgent/unscheduled surgery tomorrow morning--I don't know if I'll need to be with her some tomorrow or not. I'll let you know by phone or email if I'll be out some tomorrow related to that."

This was a quick e-mail sent to me by a co-worker who had to leave suddenly to attend to her friend. It reminds me about how scary it will be as I grow older to not have many people to rely on. Sure, I have friends who would come help, but they're all married. How much would they truly be able to help me if they are married with kids?

I used to joke that it would be days before anyone would find me injured or dead in my apartment. It's the reason (besides the financial savings) why my mom always prefers that I have a roommate. Whenever I come down the stairs at a healthy pace, I wonder if I'll ever experience falling face first onto the landing. That's why I always keep a finger on the railing.

2 comments:

shan said...

i recently heard stories from a friend who's doing his residency in neurology, and all he's seen since he started have been strange cases of seemingly perfectly fine people with no history of disease come in with strange symptoms and die a day or two later ... it made me kinda scared a little, and a little more on my toes about stuff because hearing stories like that makes you think that anything can happen in the next minute ...

Anonymous said...

I know! It's like when you climb out of the bath tub and you're afraid you'll slip and fall and crack your head open and be found dead naked.

I always "joke" with my sisters that they'd better check in on me at least once a week 'cause I'd like SOMEBODY to find my body.