Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Handouts

I'm still on the road but had to mention something that happened the other evening.

My colleague and I were walking over to a restaurant in the city for dinner. At the corner of a street that's considered the upscale boutique block, a man stood holding up copies of the local "street" newspaper.

As we crossed the street towards him, he asked if we could help him out. He was not necessarily referring to purchasing a newspaper. Upon stepping on the sidewalk, he asked again if either of us could give him a break. Of course, he was looking for a cash handout.

My colleague said, "sure," and reached for her wallet. As she fumbled through the wallet's compartments, he elaborated that he was simply trying to collect enough "to buy a burger, fries, and a Coke."

The thought that immediately came to my mind was, "if I give you money will you buy a salad?"

Besides my usual suspicion of panhandlers using charity to buy drugs or alcohol, I couldn't help think about feeding him something that is better for him. I realize it's the easiest and cheapest opportunity for him to satisfy his appetite, but we all know subsisting on that kind of diet is unhealthy in the long run.

I felt guilty standing there as my colleague pulled out a $5 bill. I didn't offer any money. I've never handed out money, though I have handed over leftovers to the homeless after leaving a restaurant. No system is perfect in terms of feeding the poor, but I'd rather give out food with the hope they'll eat it rather than use my money for more destructive purposes.

A block further down the street I told my colleague what I had been thinking about the salad as she gave him the money. She laughed. Am I being too healthy and Californian? ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, you should read "Fast Food Nation." There's a part in it about how our society encourages unhealthy eating by making only cheap and greasy meals available to most poor people. If healthy foods were available at fast food prices, we'd all be in much better shape.

chloe said...

What a generous friend you have! I never give out money but will offer food (like you), i.e. banana, granola bar, if I have it.

If only more of the country would be more 'Californian' things might be in a better state these days! But of course, I'm biased.

Pandax said...

Right now, I'm trying to finish "The Omnivore's Dilemma" which really makes one think about what farmers grow and how they grow it. I don't know how much it will shape my eating habits, but I've definitely found myself pausing as I'm served various fruits and vegetables.