Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Ghost town

As I mentioned, we all waiting for word of impending layoffs. People around me are pretty nervous. I had lunch with my old boss yesterday and she was acting as if she'll be cut. She kept saying how great it's been and what a wonderful ride we've had together. It was disconcerting to hear her say this with her always pleasant attitude.

Usually when I arrive, there are at least two or three people in their offices. Each day, it seems people arrive a little later and leave a little earlier. This morning, I came in at my usual time to find only one person in the area, the temp administrative person. No one else showed up until almost an hour later! I commented to the temp that I couldn't help wonder if I had missed a memo. What secret meeting was I not invited too?

I understand it's unnerving and worrisome to think about layoffs. We all want to know what's going to happen. Still, I don't understand this work ethic. If you are ready to go and don't care, fine, come late and leave early. I would probably behave that way a little. But if you want your job, shouldn't you still come at the normal hour? I don't necessarily work 100% or even 80% these days, but at least I'm present.

Even so, I think it's important to have a good attitude about your work and finish things so that others (including those you may need a recommendation from for that next job) see that you are a reliable and honorable person.

No comments: