Friday, August 29, 2008

More or less?

I'm avoiding cleaning to do something more fun. Since I don't want anyone attending the wedding to guess at what it may look like, I'm asking you dear friends to help me with your opinion on colors.

The background that's important to know is that our wedding colors are burgundy and golden yellow. Our invitation were inspired by this illustration. Basically, we have a lot of color options.

Our reception's dance area is a beautiful glass ceiling. But as night falls, it will be black. I thought it would be nice to continue the outdoor feeling by adding some paper lanterns. Based on discussions with the hotel, it is only possible to hang lanterns on wires that will run the length of each pointed ceiling section (there are three sections, each with a chandelier).

For the sake of cost, I've decided that if I do decorate, I'll have them set up two wires in the middle section. The center or middle area where most people will dance since the left side is where the DJ will set up (see black speaker) and the right side is where people come in and out of the ballroom area through the arches. The lanterns I hang will be tied to different lengths of fishing wire to add dimension.

The big question that I must answer by the end of the weekend is what color lanterns to buy. So I've generated two mock ups of what the room might look like once set up. (Thank goodness for Photoshop!) Obviously there are caveats to keep in mind when looking at this. For example, I don't know that these are the actual sizes of the lanterns. These simply represent size proportional to other lanterns. All in all, I think this is a pretty good visualization of what is possible.



The difference here is that one color has been removed:



I don't have a preference at this point, just thoughts about why one might be better than the other. They both look nice, it's a question of what seems appropriate for a wedding evening.

2 comments:

shan said...

I think both are appropriate for a wedding event. I particularly like the green. Are you worried that too many would be too crowded?

The green adds a color that matches the vibrant-ness of your burgundy/golden yellow combo. Without it, the pink & lilac overpower a bit and make the lanterns look rather ... pastel and bland.

Just saying what I would do, but I come with my own color biases (I really like green :)

I don't think you can go wrong with either option. The lanterns are such a wonderful idea, and the venue is beautiful

Sitcomgirl said...

I like the second pic better, but I'm not sure if it's the green not being there that makes a difference or that it just looks less crowded without that row.